General Information for the Goshen County Assessor
The Goshen County Assessor’s Office conducts an on-going program of reviewing all property within the county. This review includes checking the size, type, condition and any other characteristic information of all improvements on the property. These field reviews are a requirement of the Wyoming Statutes and Department of Revenue Rules and Regulations, which state that all property must be checked once every four years. This helps us ensure the information used in the valuation process is current and accurate.
The Goshen County Assessor has prepared a rotation, by tax district, so that all property is being checked at least once every 5 years. The Goshen County Assessor’s Office has two teams of two members of our staff conducting these inspections. These employees have photo identification that is issued by the Goshen County Assessor’s Office. They operate a county vehicle with signage on the vehicle that identifies them as the Goshen County Assessor’s Office and often times we also use a vehicle from the Goshen County Road & Bridge Department. The following rotations will give you an idea of the areas in which we will be working each year:
- Year – 2017: Part of Tax District 0101, all of 0104, 0105, 0108, 0112, 0122, 0124,0125,0127,0128,0132,0151
- Year – 2018: Part of Tax District 0153, all of 0115, 0133
- Year – 2019: Part of Tax District 0101 and 0153,all of 0114, 0116, 0117, 0118, 0123, 0130, 0152, 0154
- Year – 2020: Part of Tax District 0101 and 0153,all of 0106, 0107, 0109, 0119, 0121, 0131
- Year – 2021: Part of Tax District 0153,all of 0102, 0110, 0120, 0126,0129, 0150
The first step in every property visit is to go to the door, identify themselves and explain the purpose of their visit. If no one is home, they have been instructed by Debra Surratt, the Goshen County Assessor to leave a door hanger stating that they had been there and there is usually a note if we need the taxpayer to contact us about some information we may need. In many cases, we do ask the owner to call us back so we can verify the inside information.