NOTICE of CONFIDENTIALITY PRACTICES
PURPOSE: Goshen County Victim Assistance, its professional advocates, and volunteer advocates are committed to preserving the confidentiality of crime victims’ personal and case information. Goshen County Victim Assistance is required by state and federal mandates to abide by the confidentiality practices described in this notice.
HOW GOSHEN COUNTY VICTIM ASSISTANCE MAY USE AND DISCLOSE YOUR CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION:
The reason for sharing information will be to further the investigation and the prosecution of the offender, for the protection and safety of the victim, to research damages for compensation and or restitution.
- We may disclose your personal information, such as address and phone number, to the County Attorney Office, the Courts, and Law Enforcement for the purpose of victim communication during the prosecution of your case.
- We may disclose your personal information when obtaining information for restitution purposes or for filing a compensation claim. Following a conviction we may disclose any changes in your address to the respective court managing the collection of restitution payments in your case.
- We are required by law to report suspected cases of child abuse/neglect to the proper authorities.
- We are required by law to report serious threats to the health and safety of victims and others to the proper authorities.
HOW YOUR PERSONAL AND CASE INFORMATION IS PROTECTED:
- Your personal information, case reports, restitution, compensation claim information, when not in use, are secured in a locked file cabinet in the Goshen County Victim Assistance Office.
- Each professional victim advocate and volunteer victim advocate is required to sign a confidentiality provision agreeing to protect victim confidentiality and uphold victim rights.