An appointment is required to process a passport. Please call 307-532-2155 to schedule your appointment.

What is a passport?

A passport is an internationally recognized travel document attesting to the identity and nationality of the bearer. The passport is a request on the part of the issuing government that officials of foreign governments permit the bearer to travel in their territories and to afford them all lawful aid and protection.

Who needs a passport?

Anyone, including infants, flying from the United States or entering the United States from outside the United States will be required to possess a passport. Effective June 1, 2009 a passport or passport card is required for all land border crossings (i.e. Canada and Mexico). A child under the age of 16 will not be required to posses a passport or passport card. A child traveling by any mode other than an airplane will need to have a certified copy of their birth certificate. A passport is not required for travel of U.S. citizens to any territory or waters, including Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Proof of identity (drivers license) and citizenship (birth certificate) are always required. For information regarding the passport and visa requirements of foreign countries and their respective fees go to  

What are the requirements for a passport?

Proof of Identity

A current valid driver’s license, military identification, government identification, or previous U.S. Passport will serve as identification. Social Security cards are NOT acceptable for identification.

Certified copy of birth record

The birth record must be certified by the state in which the birth took place. A raised or embossed seal must be affixed to the birth record. If born in the State of Wyoming, you may call: (307) 777-7591 to obtain necessary information.  If you were not born in Wyoming, you must contact the State you were born.

Proof of citizenship

Your birth certificate is proof of citizenship.  If you were born outside of the United States, a Naturalization Certificate or Certificate of Citizenship is required.

Social Security Number

A social security number is required for all passport applications regardless of the age of the applicant.

Passport photo

One recent passport photo, 2″ x 2″, is required. Photographs may be taken at any photo studio.

Can you get a passport if a birth record is not available?

Yes. This requires additional documentation. You should call the Clerk’s Office (307-532-2155) for specific instructions regarding your particular situation.

Do I have to apply in person?

Yes if you are applying for a new passport, or your passport was lost or stolen, or your passport was issued more than 15 years ago you will need to apply in person. As of July 2, 2001 passport services began requiring the personal appearance of all children under the age of 14 applying for U.S. passports with both parents appearing at the time of application. Parents must provide evidence of the child’s U.S. citizenship, present evidence that they are the parents or guardians, show valid personal identification and sign and take the oath before the Clerk of District Court.  If you are renewing your passport, you do not have to apply in person.

What if one parent can’t appear?

If the second parent is not available to sign, the appearing parent must apply in person and present evidence of sole legal custody of the child/ren or have notarized written consent of the other parent for the issuance of the passport or obtain a notarized written statement explaining why non-applying parents consent cannot be obtained. A statement of consent form may be obtained at the Clerk of District Court office.

What if both parents cannot appear?

If both parents are not available, a third party in loco parentis must appear with a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or custodial parent(s) authorizing the third-party to apply for passport. When the statement or affidavit is from only one parent, the third-party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent.

When should I apply for a passport?

You should apply for a passport several months before you plan to travel. If you will need a visa from a foreign embassy, you will need to allow even more time.

Where can I apply for a passport?

The Clerk of District Court’s office, at 2125 East A St, Suite 236, Torrington, Wyoming, is a federally designated passport acceptance agency serving the public in Goshen County.  Applications are processed by appointment only, 7:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except legal holidays.

How long is a passport valid?

The passport is valid for ten (10) years if you are 16 years of age or older. The passport is valid for five (5) years if you are 15 years of age or younger.

Can a passport be renewed by mail?

Yes. If your most recent passport was issued when you were at least 16 years old, issued within the past 15 years, and you use the same name as on your most recent passport OR you have had your name changed by marriage or court order and can submit proper documentation to reflect the name changes.  If you were a minor under the age of 16 at the time your previous passport was issued, you must apply in person for a new passport.

When will I receive my passport?

If routine service is requested, currently, it is taking up to 6 weeks, but it is suggested that you check with the District Court Clerk for most current turn around time. If expedited service is requested and the additional fees are paid ($60) it is taking 3-4 weeks and possibly longer if it was a renewal by mail and “expedite” was not marked on the mailing envelope. If you need to check the status of your passport, please call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 or e-mail via

What if I owe Child Support?

Effective October 1, 2006, if a person owes more than $2,500 in back child support, the U.S. Passport Agency will not issue a passport to that person. A person will be referred to their local child support office to make arrangement for payment.

How do I report a missing passport?

Complete form DSP-64 and bring it to the Clerk’s Office when you apply for a new passport.

Where can Passport applications and renewal applications be obtained?

The Clerk of District Court’s Office can provide applications and renewal application forms. You can also obtain online passport applications at the U.S. Department of State website at

What are the fees for a passport?

Fees are listed below in the table, but it is suggested that you check with the District Court Clerk for most recent fee amounts.

DS-11 (Age 16 or Over) Passport Book plus execution fee $130
DS-11 (Age 15 or younger) Passport Book plus execution fee $100
PASSPORT CARD (Age 16 or Over) plus execution fee $30
PASSPORT CARD (Age 15 or younger) plus execution fee $15
DS-82 (RENEWAL) passport book $130
Passport card $30
EXPRESS MAIL (delivered) $18.32

Every attempt is made to keep this website updated, but if you have any questions regarding the fees posted on this page, please call District Court at (307) 532-2155.


Disclaimer: The Clerk does not expressly or implicitly warrants that the information or data accessed by the customer is accurate or correct. The Clerk shall not be liable for any loss, cost, damage, or expense arising directly or indirectly in connection with this access. In no event shall the Clerk be liable for any special or consequential damages or for any indirect damages resulting from the Customer’s use or application of the information accessed as a result of using this website.